Wednesday, July 13, 2011

30

Thirty was...well, uneventful. Didn't really do much to celebrate. I know, shame on us. My loving husband did order me an IPad, which we've both been kind of drooling over. Currently, it is in Hong Kong, though I am looking forward to its arrival.

Tessa had her first swim lesson on Monday (without me in the water) and boy was it traumatic. There were probably 100 kids there in the pool and mine was the only one screaming for mommy, throwing a fit, refusing to get in, etc. I posted about the predicament on Facebook and was given the suggestion of tough love by several - basically just leaving her. Which I ended up doing. I had a nice chat with the instructor and just said, "She is going to cry, but I am okay with it unless you really need me." And I left. I peeked in after about 7 minutes and she was still crying for me, but was at least in the water. After about 15 minutes, she wasn't crying anymore. I'll say it was a mini-success. As a bribe, I promised a McDonald's lunch if she got in the water and tried. She did.
The above picture was taken the first day before we went back to the pool. Below was the first day after they led her to where her class met. She was terrified!
And Morgan, well, he is busy as ever. He has such a happy disposition, which is a welcome change from the baby Tessa was. He rarely cries and is full of adventure (which hopefully will not ever lead to losing him in a public place. He is known to wander).


I got the basketball hoop/slide/soccer goal out from the garage this morning and set it up in the basement for the kids. It was a hit with Morgan. He shot hoops for a good hour. Bliss!

There is a big festival this weekend called the Aquatennial, which is a water related festival at a lake near downtown. There is a giant sandcastle competition, among other activities and contests. We are definitely planning to head there on Sunday and perhaps we'll enjoy a dinner out as well to really celebrate 30 in style!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Riggs Family said...

Sorry-- deleted the last one because Eric was still signed in. Happy Birthday and enjoy the iPad! Hope things get better for swim lessons.